Broadband Wireless Communication
High-capacity mesh radio systems for public safety and defense applications
Develop high-capacity mesh radio systems that surpass commercial equipment
CLIENT: Ultra Electronics TCS.
LOCATION: London, UK and Montreal, Canada
Meet military-specific performance requirements
Broadband communication services across multiple networks
Need to be done over a scarce frequency spectrum
Partner with Orthogone for technical expertise
To overcome these challenges, a radical approach was required. This was accomplished by leveraging programmable 4G technology into FPGA and Network Processors combined with state-of-the-art broadband RF technologies.
The implementation of an efficient, multiband, and cost-effective radio system.
ELECTRONIC DESIGN OF MULTIPLE HIGH-SPEED, MIXED-SIGNAL MODEM PRINTED CIRCUIT BOARDS (PCB), INCLUDING:
- Hardware and mechanical design concept and architecture
- Design of wideband RF transceivers (FDD/TDD, 2×2 MIMO)
- Hardware design based on Xilinx FPGA and NXP network processors
- Post-layout simulations of high-speed mixed-signal circuits
- System modelling and simulations (Matlab/Simulink) and FPGA detailed architecture of Modem and network processing sub-system (QAM, OFDMA)
- HW and RF Testing and characterization, HW/FPGA/SW Integration and production support
- EMIC/EMC, ESD Test and characterization to ensure compliance with standards
Software Architecture, Design, Tests & Integration
- The end-to-end architecture of real-time embedded software of the entire radio system (network processing, MAC and routing, security and encryption, RF calibration, etc.)
- Multiple Board Support Packages and device drivers (PCIe, USB, SPI, I2C, Ethernet, SW/FW upgrades, etc.)
- Networking functions: packet classification, switching, routing, Quality-of-Service (QoS), ingress/egress policing, etc.
- Wireless Medium Access Controller (MAC) communication stacks design, customization and optimization
- Optimization of throughput and latency performances of multiple hardware accelerators (encryption, packet classifier) using advanced software design algorithms
- Porting, customization, and integration of LTE User Equipment (Band-14) to improve the coverage and the mobility performances of the radio systems
- Multiple developments of automated scripts to test, characterize and calibrate the radio system performances
- Development of configurable network traffic generator enabling test and characterization (throughput, latency, jitter) of multiple radio systems with different node topologies (PTP, PTMP, mesh)
- Xilinx FPGAs
- NXP Network Processor
- Broadband wireless RF transceiver
- MIMO Technologies, OFDM, QAM